Monday, May 5, 2014

Garage Stereo II

Two years ago I bought a Kenwood receiver and a couple of Aiwa speakers for $20 dollars at a garage sale. Along with the computer in my garage these were the basis of the stereo. Shortly after buying them, the neighbors across the street had some Klipsch KG 4.2's for $60 for the pair. Apparently they were a little to much for the Kenwood receiver, they sounded horrible, so I disconnected them and put them on the other side of the garage.

Over the last few months the Kenwood has started showing signs of failing, the volume mostly fading in and out and I started looking for a cheap receiver to replace it with. Not having many garage sales during the winter limited my searching to CL, pawn shops and Goodwill.  I did not have any luck with any of them so I started looking on Ebay and found a nice Denon AVR-1602 for $45 shipped. It is 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms <.08 THD. The tuner is much better than the Kenwood and the Klipsch speakers sound great.




No comments:

Post a Comment