Sunday, June 26, 2016

P0601 Fixed and a Car Show

The beginning of May I sent my ECU to a repair facility on the east coast. They contacted me a few days later and said the ECU was beyond repair and shipped it back to me. I bought a new one online and reinstalled the old one so I could drive the car to a dealership about three miles from the house. Once I was there I parked just outside the service center pulled the passenger fender loose and installed the new ECU. The following morning they put the factory programming on the ECU which cost just over $100.00. While it was there they also accomplished the low beam headlight recall. The engine fuse box on the right side of the engine bay gets hot enough to stretch a hard wired connection causing it to break over time. This hard wire connection is for the low beam headlights, the repair is to run a jumper.

After the dealership contacted me that the car was done I ran it over to Mike Norris Motorsports and dropped it off. Mike put the dyno tune back on the ECU and charged me nothing, Mike is cool like that. I had $40.00 cash on me, gave him that and I finally had my car back after missing the better part of a month of summer driving. It was neat to feel the factory tune vs dyno tune in that short time span.

While the car was out of action I decided to give it a good paint clean and polish. I spent close to 20 hours cleaning, polishing and buffing the car, partially because it needed it and partially because work was organizing our summer picnic and for the first time in years an associated car show.

Initially I was not going to enter the car show but after talking with the employee organizing it, he said he wasn't getting much response on entries.

The night before the show I decided to make a display poster for the car. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it so I used Walgreen's photo service to make a poster that is a reusable decal. It was almost 8:30pm when I uploaded the poster and sent it to the store. Generally any prints I have done in the past are finished when I get there, this time was no different it was already wrapped in a tube, so I paid for it and headed home. When I got home I pulled it out of the tube and was unable to remove the backing to see how it worked. After asking Tania to try we realized they had printed it on normal poster paper, so back to the store I went. It took almost an hour to get it reprinted on decal paper an with that I was set for the next day.

Even though I believe around 15 cars registered only 7 showed up. I chose to open the hood of the car and stick the decal to it using just the top three inches or so. If I were to do it again I would just stick the whole thing on as it came off very easily.

 Even though the car show was a bit of a bust, the picnic had a fairly good turnout with bounce houses, corn hole, face painting, fishing and a lot of good food to eat at an excellent venue. I hope more people will take advantage of it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment