Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fender Bender

Tania had a small fender bender at work this week. She hit a concrete pillar with the front passenger fender while she was backing out of a parking spot at work. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, just mad.

There is a small dent in the fender radius and some of the scrapes went to the bare metal. I worked on it some today and was able to get the majority of the scratches out of it with some 600 grit working up to 2000 grit pad. Because of where the dent is I think it would end up worse than it looks now if I tried to take it out. I haven't decided if I am going to leave it as is or get some paint and try and fix it completely.



I also finished up a project I started earlier in the week. I bought a magnification light at a garage sale a few weeks ago for 2.00. The lamp did not work and the pivot pin out of the cast metal base was broken. The lamp was a new bulb and some contact cleaner in the switch. For the base I welded some strap around the cast housing along with a 5/8" steel rod as a new pin. It pivots on a piece of polished steel that I found at the junk yard years ago, I think it was designed to be a union for fluid lines. I cleaned it up and knocked out some of the dents that were in it, tightened up all the loose hardware and polished the lens. I'm happy with how it turned out and will probably end up using it quite a bit.



I spent the rest of the afternoon removing all the wheels from the corvette, cleaning all the wheel barrels and putting a good coat of wax on them. Its amazing how much tar and rocks were stuck to the front ones. In the back I can reach through the spokes and around the brake rotor to easily wipe them down when I wash the car. The front wheels are one inch in diameter smaller and the brakes are three inches in diameter bigger which makes it next to impossible to get my hand past. I am hoping the wax will keep most of the tar from sticking or it will come off easily with water. No one but me probably notices it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment