Saturday, December 9, 2017

Bed Cover

I've been looking at bed covers for quite a while now, not really finding one that I liked. They all have pros and cons, the biggest con being the expense of them.

Trifold / Rollup Covers:

  • Pros 
    • Cheap
    • Light weight 
  • Cons
    • Cheap
    • Longevity 
    • Security
    • Water intrusion
Hard Covers (Under Rail)
  • Pros
    • Security
    • Can open tailgate with cover closed
  • Cons
    • Heavy / difficult to remove (most)
    • Water intrusion
Hard Covers (Over Rail)
  • Pros
    • Best Security 
    • Best Water Intrusion Protection
  • Cons
    • Heavy /difficult to remove (most)
    • Limits cargo height when installed
Canister (Roll Up) Covers
  • Pros
    • Hard cover security with roll up cover cargo heights
    • Versatility
  • Cons
    • Cost
    • Complexity
    • Loss of bed space for canister
There are literally dozens of bed covers on the market, some of which fall in between what I have categorized. For example Paragon makes a hard cover that fits under rail and folds up against the front of the bed. It was the cover I was looking at the closest. The fact that it required drilling to install was why I didn't buy it.

The cover I did choose was an Undercover Elite. The reason I chose it was, I like over rail hard covers. They offer the best security, water protection and I like how they look. This particular cover went on sale for black Friday so that sealed the deal for me, even though it was still very expensive. The benefits of this versus others on the market are one its very light weight, it weighs less than 60lbs and is quick release removable. Its blow molded plastic and very strong, it will support over 600 lbs. I has a lifetime warranty including the paint. It also has a very nice feature where the lock is programmable to the vehicle ignition key. Lastly and one of the biggest selling points for me is it required no drilling to install, and actually only took about 20 minutes to install by myself.

The steel brackets were heavy gauge and appeared to be powder coated.



The struts have quick releases on the ends and clips on the cover where they can be stowed. The cover came with wall brackets which allow you to easily hang the cover on a wall when you have it removed. It has a removable LED light with magnets and a hook so you can use it in other areas. The rod with the red handle detaches and is used as a grab hook for pulling anything that has slid forward in the bed.


The paint match is very impressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment