Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas Present

The wife unit got me a Kobalt 1/2" cordless impact for Christmas this year. I already have a 1/4" impact, 3/8" drill, flashlight and three batteries.

I wont go into details on why these are great tools, there are plenty of detailed reviews on the internet for them. What I like about them besides how powerful they are, is how cheap the batteries are for them. The smallest battery is 1.5Ah and sells for 10.99. These are so cheap that people are buying them to take the 18650 battery cells out of them for projects, tactical flashlights, etc. There are six of them in the 1.5Ah battery, made by Samsung and generally sell for $2.50-3.00 a piece. I'm sure whomever is making these for Kobalt is getting some volume discount but it appears to be a loss leader to me.

What I do know for sure is I can buy four of the 1.5Ah batteries and it is half the price of a single battery for most any other quality brand cordless tool. The battery cost is why I never had cordless tools before, I just don't use them enough to justify a $80.00-90.00 battery that will go bad in 3 years.

Now that I have them I do use them more than I thought I would, especially the 1/4" impact and the flashlight. Even with the small 1.5Ah battery the life is pretty impressive. Plus for the cost you can have more than enough extra batteries charged and ready to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment