Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Awesome Light Pods

I had this week off and decided to do a small project with the GMC. In GM's infinite wisdom they decided in 2014 to stop lighting the foot well areas in their trucks. Now if you drop a something small at night on the floor it is a lot more fun to find than having a simple light to see it. I also like how foot well lighting looks when your getting in the vehicle. I had bought some LED strip lights last year for this project but the first roll was cheap Chinese and had cold solider joints causing the lights to randomly shut off or flicker. The second roll I bought was from a US distributor and had some of the same issues so this time I decided to use LED pods.

I bought this LED kit for $13.99, it had enough modules to do the interior and the bed. I'm very impressed with the quality for the cost of these modules. The modules are UL listed, waterproof and pre-wired. The kit came with a harness, additional wire, real 3M adhesive pads, and screws if you chose to hard mount the modules. This allow me to use some existing screws in the truck to securely mount the pods.



This is one under the glove box lighting the passenger side foot-well.



The light is 5000k, and looks to me just slightly yellow to the factory interior lights although that might just be the surface its shining on, its very close. For the rear seats I was able to wrap a zip tie around the seat frame tube and secure the pod just at the back of the front seat.


I used 1 module at each seat and put the remaining 8 modules in the bed in addition to the factory bed lights. The bed has areas under the rail where the steel is stamped at an angle that made a perfect spot to mount these lights.


No comments:

Post a Comment