Saturday, December 23, 2017

Rental

I have been traveling to Rockford IL for work, every week for the last six weeks. During that period I ended up putting about 700 miles a week on rental cars. I usually end up with a Hyuanda Elantra or a Nissan Altima with an occasional Malibu, the only one I actually like getting. Going into this I did not realized that you can be a Hertz Gold Member simply by signing up to be one. The change in how I was treated at Hertz was night and day once I signed up.

This week when I showed up the Manager was all excited to show me he had a premium rental for me at the same cost as my normal rental, it was a 2017 Mustang GT. Me not being a Ford fan at all was less than excited but with the alternative being one of those horrible Hyuandas, I took it.

Five miles into the drive I was ready to take it back, the wind noise coming from the passenger side was like the window was cracked 1/2 open. It was loud enough that I pulled over, looked at it, Googled the window sync procedure for a Mustang and tried stuffing napkins in the seal. In the end, the best fix was for it was turning up the nice infotainment system to a level that I couldn't hear the wind leak anymore.


The Hyuanda waiting next to it.


Its nice having a rental with remote start in Rockford when the temperature is below 20.


 The car ended up getting about 26mpg average for me, I really don't do much in town driving during the week there. I will admit I had fun driving it, the exhust tone on the car was awesome and the rev matching made it sound even better. The car felt very heavy to me and even in sport mode settings it was a bit piggish around corners with the rear of the car feeling mushy. Unfortunately for the Mustang my other car is a Corvette and well at least against this Mustang there is no comparison.

When I returned the car, the Manager came out again. He all excited wanting to know if I liked the car and enjoyed it that week. I told him no not really, I complained about the wind noise hoping that would end the conversation but he pressed on. I then went on to explain that my daily driver was a Corvette to which he responded "Oh I see" and walked off like I just kicked his dog. I fully expect to have a Hyuanda waiting for me next Monday, thats ok because I still hate Fords.

No comments:

Post a Comment